Welcome to DPI-Japan
What is DPI-Japan ?
Realization of Social Participation of Persons with Disabilities at All Levels
What is DPI-Japan ?
Since its establishment in 1986, DPI-Japan has worked for the realization of independent living and human rights of persons with disabilities. In 2001, DPI-Japan became a registered non-profit organization (NPO). In March 2007, the National Tax Agency accredited DPI-Japan as an NPO with preferential tax treatment provided for the donation. Up to April 2012, DPI-Japan has 88 membership organizations which are all organizations of persons with disabilities, including physical, intellectual and psychiatric disabilities as well as chronic illness. All membership organizations work actively to realize normalized society where persons with disabilities enjoy community living on an equal basis with other citizens.
Brief history of DPI-Japan
- Disabled Peoples' International held its inaugural congress in Singapore
- DPI international members joined inspection of the human rights situation of mental hospitals in Japan, in response that the abuse death case in Utsunomiya Mental Hospital was reported to the United Nations
- DPI-Japan was officially founded
- DPI-Japan has organized Annual National Campaign for the Promotion of Transportation for All
- DPI-Japan has co-organized National Conference on Disability Policy in collaboration with other disability organizations
- DPI-Japan conducted income-generation projects for grass-root self-help organizations in Asia-Pacific Region.
- DPI-Japan hosted the 6th DPI World Assembly in Sapporo with 3,100 participants from 110 countries.
- DPI-Japan dispatched representatives to the UN Ad Hoc Committee on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- DPI-Japan has entrusted JICA Training Course "Mainstreaming and Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities in Southern Africa" (the training course covers whole African region since 2007)
- DPI-Japan has conducted support project for persons with disabilities in Asia.
- DPI-Japan established Japan Disability Forum (JDF) with other disability organizations
- DPI-Japan has conducted the nationwide movement to call for drastic amendment of Services and Supports for Persons with Disabilities Act
- DPI-Japan has conducted HIV/AIDS disseminating project for illiterate Persons with hearing impairment through the enhancement of deaf organization in Brazil
- DPI-Japan participated Committee for Disability Policy Reform in Japanese Cabinet
- DPI-Japan set up the Relief Headquarters for Persons with Disabilities of Tohoku-Kanto Great Earthquake, in collaboration with its concerned bodies